Monday, February 1, 2010

Pre-Labor...the clock is ticking.


On Wed. 1/27 I was admitted to the hospital after having several episodes of rapid pulse, dizzyness, shortness of breath, numbness in hands. It started at about 8:30am on wed, and i had 2 episodes before I called the doc (one is a fluke, 2 is a pattern).

They told me to come in immediately. So I called stephen (who was in the Mainz office) to let him know that i was headed to the doc. I told him to stay put until i knew more about what was going on. When i got to the doc, they drew blood and did all the vitals then sent me to Labor & Delivery to be put on the fetal monitor. When monitoring was complete, i headed back to gynocology and wait as the doc w/ in surgery and was expected to return in about 20 min.

As i was sitting in the waiting room, i had another episode, so i walked up to the desk and let them know. They put me up on an exam table and did the vitals again. my pulse was quite rapid and my BP had jumped 20 points. At this moment the doc walked in and said "what's going on". So as the nurses were delivering the news, the doc said, "how'd the EKG look". The nurses all got the "deer in headlights" look and said "no EKG was done". So they sent me back to L&D to do more moitering and EKG. More blood was drawn, more questions asked and an IV was put in place (OUCH!). Stephen was called back to Ktown and made it safely to the hospital. In the end, the IV was never hooked to anything, so i got to have a very uncomfortable port thing sticking out my hand all night.

The first blood results came back about about 4pm and nothing out of the ordinary was found. But just to be safe, they asked me to stay the night. So stephen cruised home, picked up some things, and came back. He hung out w/ me for a few hours then I sent him home. The next morning, i had another small episode (must less intense and shorter) and I was scheduled for fetal monitoring at 9am. So i spent 30 min on the moniter, the midwife came in took a look, made a face and said "we're going to leave you on here for 20 more min" then left. Of course, i freaked out...WHAT DOES THAT MEAN??? WHAT IS SHE SEEING??

So Stephen went to moniter and took a look at the printout. He said "you're having contractions". I said "shut up and sit down you don't know what you're looking at!" Well the midwife came back 30 min. later, looked at the print out and said "you're having contractions...can you feel them". my eyes bugged out! :) No, i wasn't feeling contractions and dang if Stephen actually DID know what he was talking about. I guess he WAS paying attention in birth class.

So we were sent back to my room, where we lounged in bed waiting for the doc to come by. As i was laying there, i was now paying attention and could definately feel the rythmic contractions! They were coming every 10 or so min. but weren't causing any pain. I'd felt this sensation before, but i'd always attributed it to Peanut stretching, not me squeezing.

We finally saw the doc at about 2pm and she was suprised that we hadn't been released yet. Unfortunately, she hadn't gotten the memo about the contractions yet - so we filled her in and then she went and got the whole story from staff. She came to the room about 5 min later and said "get back on the moniter". so i was hooked up again for 30 more min and by the end of that session, the contractions were getting weaker and further spaced. Doc did an exam and said that she could definately feel his head pressing against the cervix but that it was still shut tight. We were released at about 3pm.

It turns out that the contractions aren't doing much to the cervix (GOOD NEWS) though there has been a slight change it's not enough to warrent bedrest or further hospital admittance. I have another appt. on tuesday at which time we will discuss our birth plan w/ staff, the doc will of course check out how the baby is doing and hopefully we'll be able to cruise for at least 2 more weeks (aiming for 37 weeks - babies no longer premie at 37 wks).

So, bottom line, we're fine! Baby's fine, mommy's fine, daddy's fine...we're just going to "take it easy" or at least try to.

1 comment:

  1. Whoa! Glad you're okay. You're doing great! Hang in there. I'll call you this week. I missed getting your gift to you in time for the shower. Bad Beth! Hugs to all three of you!

    ReplyDelete