Friday, February 26, 2010

DAY 4: It begins (2.26.10)

It’s FRIDAY! TGIF…wait, what’s going on here? Holy crap, what are we doing!? OMG this is amazing!
Just a few of the thoughts that went through our heads the nano seconds that our 2nd day with Zac began. Not that the day actually “began” as I stayed up nearly the entire night as well as did Stephen.
The day was spent again, mostly watching and trying out new things…like how to hold him. Stephen found some excellent success in the “baby lounging on chest” position. While I mostly favored the traditional cradle hold.
The day is pretty much a blur…Grammy & Gramps came to visit about mid morning. Lunch arrived around noon. I was able to take a nap while Grammy took Zac to the visitors’ room. Stephen headed home with Gramps to take care of some business. Day passed to evening. Evening to night, and then it began.

Zac’s quiet demeanor was gone. 9 p.m. brought with it a whole new world of concern. We couldn’t get him to stop crying. We did everything, twice, three times, nothing! I knew that all his problems were my fault. My milk still hadn’t come in and so I assumed that the discomfort Zac was in was due to my (perceived) lack of foremilk viability. During a rare quiet moment, I stepped down to the nurses’ station and began expressing my concern. This concern quickly snowballed into a disgusting display of tears, fear and desperation.

I was assured that everything that we were experiencing was normal. That the baby was fine and that soon my milk would come. C-Section deliveries often experience delayed milk production. As much as I hate to admit it, I was progressing on track (instead of ahead of expectations as I much prefer to be).

Eventually our night of hell passed, a new day broke and we were renewed with hope and support with another visit from Grammy & Gramps.

No comments:

Post a Comment