Wednesday, November 9, 2011

A Hostage In My Own Home

We are now on Day 5 of "Big Boy Bed" Training.  It isn't going easily.  It's much like going trough teething again, only this time I'm the one causing the "pain".

I get some comfort in reading about other moms' battles with the transition but mostly I am tortured by this whole process.  The boy must take naps and he needs sleep - but he just won't go peacefully.  Nap times are usually preceded with 60-90 minutes of play-time & crying (play time - fine!  crying - torture!).  Bed time is all about going up to "rescue" him after 15-20 minutes of crying, spending 5 or so minutes with him and going through the process again and again until he passes out (usually 2-3 visits).

Stephen has been a great support in all this, but he's at work during the day - he only has to play the game once a day.  It's chipping away at me.  By the time he falls asleep for his afternoon nap, I feel like I should be calling CPS on myself!  In the process of waiting for him to fall asleep, I am a hostage in my own home.  I can't get my housework done because any noise I make he uses it as a kick start to a new crying jag.

Oh, did I mention, Zac has finally started verbalizing "mama" and "papa".  He's been using the sign language signs for mama and papa for quite some time, but it's an amazing feeling to finally hear him call out our names...unless, of course, it's under duress.

I've read all about transitioning a toddler and I know what I'm "supposed" to do.  I even know how to handle "out of the ordinary" situations - but none of the "magic" is working.  Zac is not happy to put himself to bed and I am not happy with how this is playing out for him.

As a parent, I know full well that I will ruin his life somehow.  I was just hoping it was going to be in a way that I wasn't aware of and much later in his life.

Is it too soon to find him a therapist?

1 comment:

  1. Call me andwe can share stories. It was rough for us. A timer as a part of our new routine was the key, I think. Love y'all! Sending sleepy vibes...

    ReplyDelete