Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I’m Bored…lets go to Belgium!

Stephen's cousin Shannon is here visiting! She arrived on Sat. Aug 9. So that afternoon Stephen and I headed over to Patty's house to meet and greet her.

As we all were talking, Patty (Stephen's Sister) mentioned that there was an Antique market taking place the following day. She suggested that we go up and check it out. It was located in Tongeren Belgium.

I said, "well what the heck, let's go tonight, then we can be there and back with plenty of time." Then Patty suggested that we hit Cologne on the way home on Sunday.

So there it was…we were bored and making plans to go to a different country!
We booked a hotel room, ran home and put an overnight bag together and then we were off.
Just 2 hours later, we arrived at our hotel in Liege Belgium (30 min from our destination).
The next morning we checked out early and headed off to the market.

It was cold and raining…relentlessly. We traipsed thru the streets and in and out of stores. Ideally, Stephen and I were looking for a wardrobe (they're called shrunks here). Alas, we found nothing that we loved AND that was in our price range. As the morning of antiquing in the rain was winding down, no one had purchased anything. We couldn't leave with no treasure to show for our adventure!

Fortunately, I had seen something early in the day that had caught my eye. It was a metal (silver brass perhaps) clarinet that was reverse handed. What the heck does that mean? Well, usually a clarinet is played w/ the Left hand on top and right on bottom, this one was reversed! I didn't even know such thing existed.

I had left it behind the first time because 1) it was a bit expensive (marked at 70 Euro = ~$100) and 2) it was still early in the day. Well I decided that if I could talk the guy down, I'd get it. However, I wouldn't spend more than 45 euro ($70). In the end he wouldn't go any lower than 50 euro (even though I walked away) but I just couldn't leave it behind. So I took one for the team and scored a, what seems to be, very rare piece.

I can find NO information on the instrument! As far as I've gotten is it is probably from the 30's and was used in jazz bands. There are no distinguishing marks or maker's stamp and NO ONE has info about a reverse handed horn! So, I'm thinking I've either got a MAJOR dud, or maybe I've really scored some treasure.

Maybe someday I'll have it appraised.

On the way home from Tongeren, we skirted through Cologne Germany. We stopped for lunch and a tour of the Dom (the gothic style cathedral that stands in the center of the city). We then enjoyed ice cream/cappuccinos at a café and then hit the road for K-Town. What a great weekend! Spontaneity rocks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment